Thanks to Desert Bloom Botanical Center in Green Valley, who will be sponsoring my gardening series again this Spring! This season brings back two favorites, 5 Tips for Successful Desert Gardening and Gardening to Attract Birds, and adds two new presentations How to Prune Desert Plants and Integrated Pest Management. Here is the Spring 2018 line up:
5 Tips for Successful Desert Gardening
Tuesday, February 20 – 11:30am to 12:00pm
Tuesday, April 3 – 11:30am to 12:00pm
Are you new to Arizona and frustrated with desert gardening? Or, an experienced desert gardener wanting new ideas? Learn how working with Nature helps the environment while making your gardening easier, less expensive and more beautiful.
In this presentation, you will learn:
- How to make the most of the rainfall that we get in Southern Arizona to reduce or eliminate water expenses for your plants.
- How the sun can help—or hurt—your chances of success.
- To choose the best plants for maximum beauty and minimal care.
- How to figure out if your plants are getting too much or too little water, and best watering practices for success.
- How mulching can put your garden into hyper drive while making your life easier.
Gardening to Attract Birds*
Tuesday, March 6 – 11:30am to 12:00pm
Tuesday, April 17 – 11:30am to 12:00pm
This presentation uses the Tucson Audubon Society’s Habitat at Home Program as a foundation for learning how to:
- Attract colorful birds and local wildlife,
- Create an oasis of lush native plants while reducing water use,
- Create shade that cools the yard and reduces air conditioning costs,
- And much more!
How to Prune Desert Plants*
Tuesday, March 20 – 11:30am to 12:00pm
After proper watering, proper pruning is one of the biggest issues people face in caring for desert plants. Even many landscape professionals have trouble with this essential skill. In this presentation, you will learn:
- What makes a well-pruned tree or shrub,
- Why in most cases, less is best,
- What pruning tools are needed for the task,
- How to choose a landscape professional that knows how to prune properly.
Integrated Pest Management*
Tuesday, May – 11:30am to 12:00pm
Control of pests can seem like an endless battle. Most gardeners wait until the problem is out of hand before taking action, requiring more drastic measures and often, toxic chemicals. Using an integrated approach can make pest management less of a struggle.
This presentation will discuss:
- Proactive steps for pest management,
- The role of plant health in managing pests,
- Non-toxic and low impact methods of pest management.